Wynnum Bayside Brisbane
Wynnum’s population figures were: Wynnum is a coastal suburb in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
At the 2016 census, Wynnum had a population of 12,915. The suburb is a popular destination in Brisbane due to its coastline, jetty and tidal pond.
Geography Of Wynnum
Moreton Bay, North Stradbroke Island and mangroves off Wynnum.
Wynnum is located on the shore of Moreton Bay in Brisbane, Australia, about 14 kilometres east of the CBD. Wynnum is a large residential suburb on Moreton Bay south of the mouth of the Brisbane River, is located 15 km east-northeast of central Brisbane.
The name is thought to have been derived from an Aboriginal word describing the screw pine, a popular name for the Pandanus species, most of which are found on the coast, in tidal streams, or swampy areas. The seed fruits, which are not related to true pines or other conifers, were sometimes used as food by Aboriginal people.
Traditional Landowners history
Their history at Quandamooka (Moreton Bay) dates back more than 25,000 years, and the Aboriginal connection to the Wynnum area has remained strong during European colonization.
Thomas Petrie, a visitor in the 1840s, described Wynnum as a large Aboriginal camp (in the centre of what is now Elanora Park 27.433°S 153.172°E, referred to as Black’s Camp as late as the 1980s from which expeditions to hunt turtles, manatees, and flying foxes on neighbouring islands were undertaken.
Settlement History of Wynnum
The first European settlement was established at North Wynnum (around the mouth of Wynnum Creek) on the edge of Black’s Camp.
Europeans sparsely settled the area until the railroad arrived in the late 1880s, growing rapidly.
On Saturday, November 22, 1890, 95 subdivided lots of the Wynnum Station Estate were sold at auction by R. J. Cottell. They were marked near Bridge Street and Wynnum Station on a map announcing the auction.
Local administration was under the Bulimba Division, which in 1888 was divided into the Balmoral Division and the Kianwanah Division, based at Wynnum.
In 1881, a road was laid out to the Hastings (later Wynnum) Hotel north of the mouth of Wynnum Creek.
The following year, the Brisbane to Cleveland railroad running through Wynnum was completed, coinciding with the opening of the Waterloo Bay Hotel.
In 1892 the name of the community was changed to Wynnum. (In 1902, Wynnum became a shire and, in 1913, a town).
The former Wynnum Shire Council was formed in 1902, and twelve years later, Wynnum became a municipality with its town council and the right to elect a mayor. Black’s Camp was disbanded in 1908, and the area became Elanora Park in the 1930s. The Wynnum Municipality was absorbed into the enlarged City of Brisbane in 1925.
Street in Wynnum, circa 1889.
Methodist Church – First Church for Wynnum
In 1890, a Wesleyan Methodist Church was dedicated on Wilde Street, the first church built in Wynnum.
It was 30 by 20 feet (9.1 by 6.1 m) and was built by John Iley Green of Thompson Estate.
As it became too small for the congregation, another church was built at 24 Ashton Street (27.4395°S 153.1695°E), officially dedicated on Wednesday, April 2, 1902, with its first service on Sunday, April 6, 1902. John Iley Green also built it in the Carpenter Gothic style.
A Sunday school hall was added in February 1929. In early 1958, the church was closed and enlarged by 25 feet (7.6 m), and services were temporarily held in the hall. The church officially reopened on Sunday, April 11, 1958.
In June 1977, it became part of the Uniting Church of Australia.
After the merger of several local congregations to form the Bayside Uniting Church, the church closed with a final service on July 8, 1990.
In November 1990, it was sold into private ownership for $112,000 and converted into a residence.
On January 1, 2004, the 1902 church building was placed on the Brisbane Heritage Register.
St Peters Anglican Church
In October 1892, Church of England supporters in Wynnum decided to buy half an acre of land in Charlotte Street (now 77 Charlotte Street, 27.4435°S 153.1718°E) for £50 to build a church.
After several years of fundraising, the foundation stone was laid on Saturday, October 8 1896, in the Bishop of Brisbane William Webber and the Premier of Queensland James Robert Dickson. St Peter’s Anglican Church was officially opened and dedicated on March 9 1899.
In 1912, a Baptist church opened in Wynnum.
Before the church’s opening, Baptist services were held in the Wynnum Shire Hall. After purchasing three allotments on Edith Street, a dedication ceremony was held on Sunday, October 13, 1912. The dedication ceremony for the completed church was held on Saturday, December 21, 1912. As the congregation grew and the church needed to be enlarged, it was decided in 1930 to move the church building to 168 Bay Terrace, on land donated by Mr and Mrs Edward Robert and Catherine Harriet Humphreys (members of the congregation).
The building still exists on the Brisbane Heritage Register but is no longer used as a church.
Mt Carmel Convent
Mt Carmel Convent, home to the Sisters of Mercy, was designed by RS Dods prestigious architectural firm and constructed in 1915 as yet another real estate coup for Archbishop Duhig.
The perceived need for a convent here sprung from the area as a new and popular seaside resort. In the early 20th century, the Sisters of Mercy taught local school children leading to a public school. However, it retains a small number of pupils today as part of the Guardian Angels primary school.
The Guardian Angels Catholic elementary school opened on October 4 1914.
It was built from 1924 to 1939.
Nazareth House, situated on Tingal Hill, Wynnum, was designed by Brisbane architectural firm Hennessy, Hennessy, Keesing & Co and JP Donoghue and built by George Turner. Archbishop James Duhig officially opened Nazareth House in 1925 as part of the charitable institution established on the site by the Poor Sisters of Nazareth. 
A Catholic presence in Wynnum was prompted by establishing the area as a popular seaside resort.
It is now an aged care nursing home.
St Johns Anglican Church
St. John’s Anglican Church was dedicated around 1929. It was located at 54 Randall Road (approximately 27.4551°S 153.1584°E) and closed around 1995.
Wynnum Presbyterian Church
On Saturday, January 9, 1932, the cornerstone was laid for a new Presbyterian church on Tingal Road. The 1918 church was demolished to be rebuilt as a new church.
Wynnum Seventh-day Adventist Free Church
It was established in late 1937. The first minister was Pastor Septimus Wilfred Carr. They met in private homes, then in the Wynnum RSL Hall, and finally in the Wynnum St Peters Church of England Hall.
In 1947, the land was purchased at Sunflower and Carnation Streets in Wynnum.
In 1948 the Mitchelton Methodist Hall was bought and moved as the congregation’s first church.
It was purchased and moved, without a roof, to the site in early 1949.
It was re-roofed and officially dedicated on September 4 1949.
In 1951 a new hall was added at right angles to the rear of the building. Another extension was made in 1962, continuing the hall in a similar alignment to the first building.
Bayside Uniting Church
It was established in 1990 at Wondall Road, Manly West, uniting four Uniting Churches at the following locations:
24 Ashton Street, Wynnum, a former Methodist church.
Kingsley Terrace, Manly, a former Methodist church
Preston Road, Manly West, a former Methodist church
Amboyna Street, Manly, a former Congregational church.
Wynnum Central government schools were opened in 1882 and 1896, respectively.
Wynnum State School was opened on February 24, 1896. In 1910, it was renamed Wynnum Central State School. It closed on December 31, 2010, when it was merged with Lindum State School and Wynnum North State School on Prospect Street to form a new Wynnum State School.
The former Wynnum Shire State School was renamed Wynnum Central State School.
Wynnum North State School was established in 1911. The school initially opened in 1882 as Lytton State School, but in 1911 the buildings were moved from Lytton to Wynnum North at the corner of Tingal Road and Prospect Street (27.4339°S 153.1656°E), and the school was renamed Wynnum North State School in 1911.
It closed on December 31 2010, merged with Lindum State School and Wynnum Central State School to form a new Wynnum State School. Wynnum State School is the largest school in Brisbane.
Moreton Bay College
In 1901 Miss Alice Greene, a former teacher at Rockhampton Girls’ Grammar, and her sister Anne opened Moreton Bay High School for Girls on a choice site overlooking the coast.
The school building was spacious and modern and initially accommodated six borders and twenty-day students. It gained a good reputation, but in 1945, when Alice was in her early 80s, she donated the school to the Methodist Church, which became Moreton Bay College.
Mount Carmel College
Mount Carmel College was opened in 1957.
It closed on December 31 1992.
Bayside Suburbs Lifestyle And landmarks
Wynnum was well on its way to making a name for itself as a maritime suburb and as a place of relaxation and recreation.
In addition to a boardwalk, the local government reserved a plaza along Wynnum Creek and named it Kitchener Park in recognition of the visit of Lord Kitchener, who had advised on Australian defences.
In 1910, the area was declared a city.
The municipal boundaries covered 27 square kilometres and extended to Tingalpa, south to Lota, and north to Lytton and Bulwer Island.
This allowed the community to host the Wynnum and Manly Agricultural, Horticultural and Industries Society (1916), which held its first exhibition in Memorial Park in 1919, a space reserved to commemorate those who died in the war.
The Wynnum and Manly School of Arts opened in Bay Terrace in 1913. After that, the terrace became the district’s main shopping area located in Wynnum South.
A local gasworks (1914) provided public lighting and mains gas to homes and businesses. The gas lighting gave way to mains electricity in 1923.
With the Star Film Theatre opening in Wynnum South in 1915, which is a few years claimed to show “only the best first-run films direct from the city’s leading theatres,” another type of lighting was added.
By the 1920s, Wynnum had several churches, a bowling club, a golf course on Lovekin’s Paddock, next to Kitchener Park, and a large shopping centre.
Irvine and Sons, Wynnum’s new department store, was more modern than any other in a Brisbane suburb, offering fabrics, clothing, groceries, hardware, tableware, shoes, and furniture.
The state government defined the town of Wynnum as Greater Brisbane, which included the community in 1925.
Two years earlier, the township had been connected to the Metropolitan Water and Sewerage Board water supply.
There were few beach resorts despite claims of being a seaside suburb, with boardwalks and a landscaped foreshore.
Wynnum Wading pool
In 1932, a saltwater wading pool was built near the jetty, with a deeper pool at the end as well.
An artificial Pandanus Beach was constructed adjacent to the jetty in 1987 to complement the wading pool and a children’s playground. The pool is a large oval shape measuring 128 metres x 54 metres, with a depth at the centre of approximately 750mm. Separated from the bay by a narrow concrete path, it is constructed of concrete with a natural compacted clay base which is covered with fresh sand fortnightly.
Pandanus Beach was officially opened on September 26 1987, by Tom Burns, the Queensland Legislative Assembly member for Lytton and a resident of Wynnum.
In 1987, Pandanus Beach was created by bringing sand from North Stradbroke Island and adding rock groynes to prevent the sand from eroding by waves in the bay.
The Bay Terrace shopping centre and adjacent streets proved impregnable to a drive-in development, and instead, Wynnum Plaza was built on Brisbane’s main street, Wynnum West, in 1980.
It began with a modest twenty stores and expanded to sixty in 1998.
In 2015, construction began on a new public library on the former Wynnum Central State School site in a joint venture between Brisbane Investment Corporation and a major retailer.
The project, scheduled to open in 2016, also includes relocating four wooden school buildings on the Wynnum school site, which the Brisbane City Council purchased in 2012 to be used by community groups.
The suburb has traditionally had a rural atmosphere, but new residential development has resulted in significant population growth and changing demographics. As a result, the area is now characterized by a mix of distinctive and modern homes.